Day 129: October 8: In San Juan Island

I woke to more rain (it had rained all night), and found that my new tent had mostly stayed dry. There was one spot right in the center of the front screen door where a piece of Velcro was wicking water through; I guess I'll have to seal it better the next time I can get it dry.

I mopped as much of the water off it as I could, and packed it wet. I hate to do this because I'm risking damaging the waterproofing of the tent or growing smelly mildew, but what else can I do in the rain?

I made breakfast for the first time in many days, getting shelter from the rain under a structure there at Pedal Inn.

From there, I rode down to American Camp at the south end of the island, which had been where the Americans camped in the Pig War of the 1840's.

The Pig War happened when a pig owned by the British (the Hudson Bay Company) strayed into fields owned by an American and was shot. The military was called when the British threatened to punish him for shooting the pig. Actually, the war was about the location of the US/Canada border, because a treaty had specified the border to be along the channel through the Straits of San Juan de Fuca, but there were two channels in common use, one north and one south of San Juan Island. This anomaly left the ownership of San Juan undecided until the end of the Pig War, which happened when both countries went to a neutral third party (in this case Germany) to arbitrate. It wasn't much of a war: only one shot fired, and only one casualty (the pig). But it had the British camped at the north of the island, and the Americans at the south end.

Beacon at American Camp
From American Camp I rode back to Friday Harbor, where I found a hostel (I wanted to stay dry overnight). The hostel, Wayfarer's Rest, is owned by Andrea and Paul, and has been in business about 4 months. They both work evenings as bartenders as well as running the hostel, and sleep in a cabin beind the house. They're set up with about 16 beds in 2 rooms. The place is beautifully set up and decorated, with driftwood logs used as the supports for the bunk beds, and a nice living room and kitchen area.

I stopped by the post office to see if a letter that Bonnie had sent had arrived, but it hadn't yet. I was told to stop by Saturday at around 1:00.

I rode some more around the island, and hung around at the hostel for a while, doing some writing and finishing a book I was reading.